Tuesday 21 September 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different

I keep saying that campaigners need to take a break from the constant effort of campaigning. So on Thursday I took some of my own medicine and took an evening off to play some jazz at a dinner held to mark the start Wycliffe's Alpha Course.

We had a hot group, guitar, double bass, drums and me on my tenor sax. Should have sounded great, except that when we ook the stage I discovered that my sax had been knocked over and instead os a relaxing evening playing, I was faced iwtht he music starting and no instrument to play. Very nerve wracking.

I had to leg it in to a back room twiddle with the knobs to get my sax going and managed to get back on stage just as my solo was about to start. This was the first time I have every got a cheer before playing a note or speaking a word. While I was very rattled we got through the session and got quite an ovation at the end.

There were over 50 people at the dinner, not a huge audience, if you are used to playing in public, but a huge one when your instrument fails. All of them there, I guess, because they wanted to discuss what Christianity means and what it is, or isn't. I hope they enjoyed themselves and keep with the course.

If you are interested in Alpha, there is still space and if you click here you will end up at the Wycliffe website with contact details.

So break over back to work.......