Friday 25 September 2009

Crisis and Compensations of a Labour Lollipopman

I am the morning Lollipop man at Alfred Sutton School in Park Ward. I really enjoy serving as a volunteer to make sure local children can get across the road.

You cannot believe how madly busy it gets in the morning. Most of the time car drivers act responsibly and sensibly. Through good observation I have been able to avert accidents.

This term I have noticed that the cyclists using the road seem to have taken leave of their senses. There is a hard core of cyclists who ride on the pavement, through the crossing and generally at the children crossing the road. It’s very very stressful. The picture shows one Likely Lad riding on the pavement opposite where I stand to Lollipop.




Twice this week, once this morning, I've had to shout at cyclists who have decided to cycle through a young child crossing the road. It’s amazing and frightening to see. Luckily I have a loud voice and have managed to shout a warning. It has to be said though, going to work with a sore throat because shouting at a cyclist is the only way to avert an accident is not the best way to start the day.

The job does have its upside. Today a parent approached me and gave me a cake to say thank you for getting their children safely across the road. It tasted delicious thank you.