Wednesday 8 December 2010

Dumping the Debt

Its a Wednesday so it must be demo day. Marched with Reading Uni students from the Uni to the Town Hall to meet up with Reading's MPs.

We brought our "debt" with us to dump in front of them. The students wanted to show Reading's 2 MP's that they won't accept the proposed raising of tuition fees from £3,000 to £9,000.

Unfortunately the MP's didn't turn up, I think they may have been hiding with Reading's Lib Dem Councillors, having a "constructive dialogue".


I was impressed at the quality of the speeches and especially pleased to see Labour Cllr, Rachel Eden, taking part. She brought her baby with her, she was truely fighting for the next generation.

Parliament votes on Thursday and there is a large demo outside Parliament to remind the Lib Dem MP's what they said before the election. Unfortunately I can't go as I have to work and am very dissappointed. What will happen, I don't know, but I do know that if Clegg and his chums vote for an increase in tuition fees there will be a lot of very cross students voting against them in constituencies across the country.