Tuesday 24 November 2009

A Bit Nervous

I am a bit nervous tonight.

I have to go in to hospital tomorrow, I am sure that all of you will wish me well. Going in to hospital reminds me what has changed in our Health Service for users in the last 10 years.

I have a blocked kidney, this has been going on for a while. When I first had problems I used to turn up at A+E in screaming agony. We have a new A+E unit, I don't know whether you used the old A+E but it was a grotty dirty hole. The clean A+E saw me within about 30 mins and gave me pain relief. When the problem continued I was taken in to the Hopkins Ward in the new hospital. I had previously been in the Battle, which was one of the most depressing places I have ever been to. The new ward discharged me to have a procedure called Lithotripsy, I think. Basically they zap the kidney stone with ultra sound. This didn't dislodge the stone. One day I had to visit my GP and she was able to look at my results and x rays on line from her surgery. Something else that didn't happen more than 10 years ago.

As the stone was huge. It is about the size of a small pebble, 1/2 inch long, the doctors said it had to come out. This was about 8 weeks ago and I was originally supposed to go in a month ago, however it didn't fit in with work.

Now the stone's day is up. All this is happening in a New Hospital, with newish looking equipment and a short waiting list. I won't describe the op, however I attach a link to a Bond film which will give you an idea.

So I am nervous, however I can see just what the Government has acheived. I just hope that the surgeon has a steady hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wyp909mQPM