Wednesday 22 February 2012

Very Sad Today


I was very sad today to read that a 12 year old boy had been killed while crossing the road at Cemetery Junction yesterday. As my wife and I were coming home from our various works we were both caught up in the aftermath. My heart goes out to the family and as a father of teenagers I can only imagine how I would feel  in the same situation.

One of my neighbours has commented that we should stand against drivers who drive on the pavement, bump up curves and drive the wrong way up one way streets. These drivers are a menace and will cost more lives and injury if we do nothing.

The video above shows Crescent Road, where I acted as a lollipop man for 2 years. For 2 years I suffered drivers and cyclists pointing their vehicles at me, shouting at me and trying to run me and the children I was crossing. Some days it could be very frightening...

The junction can be difficult to manage in the dark. Below is a video of what it is like driving along the Kings Road from the Junction to Eldon Road. I took it when I was on a no. 17 bus. Its a bit too long and dull but it illustrates the point.




So if you are driving a car around the junction, and in Park Ward. SLOW DOWN and make sure that my children don't end up as a statistic.